Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s/Manuals)
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) is a document specifically written to enlist instructions. A compete step by step guide to fulfil a job task. The ultimate guide that directs you towards choosing the right approach to handle a specific situation at workplace.
Standard operating procedures are specified to highlight the work processes that are meant to be repeated on regular basis or instructions that the employees are bound to follow within an organization. SOPs are beneficial for reduction of imbalance by promoting work quality through constant application of the procedures within an organization, whilst any personal changes that might be temporary or permanent.
Advantages of Standard Operating Procedures
- Standard operating procedures limit the training process for the new employees by decreasing the learning period time, to save the extra time and energy required for training of new employees.
- SOPs ensure that a standardized process is being followed throughout.
- Standard operating procedures make task-delegation convenient.
- Standard operating procedures also help in ensuring that clients are getting an inimitable experience that is second to none.
- SOPs guarantee business progression even in absence of key staff member.
How Profits Plus will help you:
Profits Plus Accountants work to meet your needs by providing counselling services to guide you in developing standard operating procedures and manuals for each financial statement areas by creating processes and procedures through designing manuals like payroll, HR, sales, purchases. To keep a track of everyday expenses we also help with establishing practices and policies to help you with monitoring purposes. We also provide guidance for initiating internal laws for staff training. SOPs help in ensuring that every process is completed on time and nothing is left undone; to minimize variability and maximize quality. SOPs are favourable in making any organization more system dependent than people dependent.
What are the most common three types of SOP format?
- Step-by-step (simple format to explain the straightforward procedure by breaking and explaining each step in a numbered list with detailed instructions).
- Hierarchical steps(a top-down approach for explaining complex business workflows that must comprise multiple steps).
- Flowcharts (a diagrammatic/visual presentation of stages to map out a complete procedure using boxes and arrows indicating the next step).
How do you define a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and why is it essential for companies?
SOPs are well-documented, extensively detailed, and a step-by-step guide for each process to provide clear and concise instructions for everyone’s benefit, asking them to follow the same set of rules for consistency. Keen attention is given to the details of specified jobs or projects to keep the work aligned with professional goals.
Documenting processes is vital for standardizing workflows while ensuring that practices will be carried out uninterrupted. Consider SOP the easiest way to improve productivity and efficiency.
Who is responsible for creating SOP in a company?
Generally, a single individual writes SOPs. But, the best practice is to work with a team for better understanding and collaboration, as well as to include specialized personnel from different departments. Their feedback will contribute to the success of writing a well-executed SOP.
What are the basic elements to write a good SOP?
- Title page and/or header
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control
- Scheduled procedures
- Responsible parties
- List of references, glossary, and index
What are the types of SOP?
SOPs are of two types:
- Technical SOPs – Used to explain the ways to carry out assigned tasks with detailed instructions.
- Management SOPs – Used for defining how other SOPs can be written, modified, distributed, and implemented.
How long should SOP be?
The length varies based on the chosen font type, font size, paragraph styling, and SOP format. Ideally, it can be as long as 2-3 pages, making it about 800 to 1000 words. The document should be written in 12-point font with double spacing and normal margins.